“college is not worth it if you don’t have the correct situation”

Genre #1: Magazine sketch

Rhetorical situation: College tuition makes graduate students go into debt.

Medium: Magazine

Genre: magazine, explains the fight of the student for a debt-free career.

Audience: everybody, more specifically: Soon to be students, College students, Graduates, Department of education

Purpose:  to make sure that soon-to-be students learn the current situation of college education and how it can be unfair depending on your financial situation. Also, to bring awareness to the department of education on how people have deceived the worth of education because of its expenses.

Stance: agreeing with the protests.

Pics credits

Pic 1: https://img-s-msn-com.akamaized.net/tenant/amp/entityid/AAQGnVD.img?h=1198&w=1598&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f&x=454&y=278

Pic 2: https://th.bing.com/th/id/R.cb1d71d303d299a64be6f52f0fe3c1e7?rik=pBwFGemsiuj2BQ&riu=http%3a%2f%2fmedia.philly.com%2fimages%2fStudents.JPG&ehk=fXfQwmXeIcVBmmigWoU8OYFISyQ9aqNvlylUELYzB3g%3d&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0

Genre #2: Illustration

Rhetorical situation: Race plays a big part in college graduates and employment.

Genre: An illustration. A lot of people are visual learners, by watching an illustration they will get the message better compared to by reading.

Medium: Illustration on social media/internet.

Purpose: to make sure that soon-to-be students learn the current situation of college education and how it can be unfair depending on your race and financial situation. Also, to bring awareness to the department of education on how people have deceived the worth of education because of the unfairness when it comes to race.

Stance: reflective, showing how much white people win compared to the other races.

Credits: Me

Rationale

In my second essay, “Is higher education necessary to be successful in life?“, I concluded that college is worth it depending mostly on the student’s financial situation, and, in most hard cases, your race. This is because college tuition ends up giving most graduating students a high debt. But at the end of the day, without a college degree, you don’t have an opportunity to a high-paying job compared to college graduates. Race plays a big part in college graduates’ unemployment on hard cases because some companies see white people as more appealing to their customers compared to black people, Hispanics, or Asians.

I created this piece intending to let future college students and the department of education (as well as others that would like to see it) know the reality of college education and how the future for most college graduates end up.

For me, these pieces have a very valuable meaning to my audience because some of them are forced or pressured into continuing their higher education. My pieces will probably give them the idea of the future that they might encounter depending on their situation.

The genres that I used for this piece were illustration and a magazine. As young college students and non-college students, we tend to use whatever form of entertainment that we can find. The most used ones are social media, magazines, and tv. For this reason, I created an illustration that will be on social media and a magazine page that young people will find interesting and educational at the same time. By having the attention of college students and soon-to-be college students the department of education might pay attention to these issues and investigate/find a way to change this for people that want better educations but can afford it.